May 03, 2011

Deep Thoughts....by someone other than Jack Handy

I am honestly too tired to come up with anything fascinating so I thought I would write a post only a mother could love. I don't talk to my mom nearly as much as I should and when I do, she just loves it when I share what's going on in my little world.

So for you mom......

My Incredibly Deep Thoughts:

1. For as much as I disliked Middle School when I was actually going to Middle School, I despise it all the more as a parent. Don't get me wrong, the school here is amazing and I wouldn't want Garrett anywhere else. Socially it's been a good year as well. It's all the craziness that comes with an intense work load, more interest in sports and friends and girls than homework, and puberty. All that thrown together has increased my gray hair count by a bunch. Out of respect for my sweet red headed 12 year old, that's all I'm going to say about that. 20 and a half days of school left.....I can do this!!

Actually, I guess it's 2 years and 20 and a half days of school left. Oy vey!

2. I don't know why, but for some reason hair color does not last over here. It's a mystery we discuss often over lunch and we've blamed the water and humidity and everything else we can think of for why it is that what used to last me 3-4 months, now only lasts about 4 weeks. I pride myself in being low maintenance but this hair color schedule is going to ruin it for me. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the gray.......which we all know I can blame on Middle School.

Great. Middle School will haunt me forever.

3. I wonder what this summer is going to be like. In fact, I wonder about that a lot. How different are things going to be? Am I going to feel like an outsider or will it feel like I've slipped right back in to what was normal? How are the boys going to feel about being home for an extended amount of time? What is it going to feel like to actually walk into a store and find clothes that fit? Can I live on Sonic drinks and Mexican food alone? How hard is it going to be without Scot for 7 weeks?

How much more gray am I going to be?

4. Whatever gave me the idea that giving up dairy, flour, and sugar would actually be a fun challenge?? I must have been out of my mind!!! For the most part, I've actually stuck to it for over a week now. I did cheat a tad this weekend by having a small bit of feta cheese on a Greek salad, eating two rolls at dinner one night and sharing a small dessert with Scot. By and large, if I have to count some cheese I had on a salad as cheating.....then I think I'm doing ok.

My plan is to drop 30 pounds in the next 4 weeks. Wish me luck!!!

5. Number 4 has to be successful in order for me to eat Mexican food every single day this summer. You think I'm kidding?? Just wait. I'm going to have to put friends and family on a rotational schedule to eat with me because I promise it will wear them out.

It's going to get u.g.l.y.

6. I honestly think I've learned more about world politics since living here than I did the entire time I was in college. How I ended up with good friends here that are as politically savvy as they are is beyond me. I sat at lunch today while my three friends tossed around policy issues with Libya and Egypt and rehashed past presidential conflicts along with their takes on what happened with Bin Laden.......I just nod and throw in an occasional safe remark like "God Bless America" and pretend like I can operate on their level.

I can't, but it sure is fun to be smart by association!

7. I am starting to love apartment living. I say that even though right now I am burning up as our ancient air conditioning system seems to not be working. Again. I can honestly say that our family spends so much more time together because there's nowhere to escape. There's the family room and bedrooms and that's about it! You can probably hide in the kitchen except there is so much traffic in there since food is consumed at an enormous rate around here that the chance of staying alone in there is minimal.

Actually, when I'm out back doing laundry I'm always alone. Hmmmm.......I may have to change that!!

8. I am so tired right now that I'm not even going to try and make it to 10 because I would be lying to say I was thinking about anything else but going to bed. Tomorrow I get to go see all the wonderful ladies at ESL so I will leave you with a couple of pictures I have taken recently for our end of the semester slide show.

The women start off in the sanctuary to sing a couple of songs and
get a very simple Bible lesson.

Then it's off to their classrooms that are divided by levels that start
with Intro (no English at all) and go to 5 (conversational English). Since
all of these women are working on at least their 2nd language it makes every one
of them smarter than me. I take great joy in telling them that when they sit down for
me to test them with nervous smiles and shaking hands.


I love this lady. I did her testing when she first registered for class
and at that time her hair was longer and purple. She has since
had some kind of makeover and is obviously loving it!! She loves
on me every time we see each other.

I know, you are all so devastated that this incredibly insightful and stimulating post has come to an end. Or you're relieved.

You're probably relieved....honestly, I am too.

Good night!

1 comment:

  1. So I did want to tell you that I am enjoying your everyday post even if it is random. It is a few minutes each day I can escape into the world of someone else. You have inspired me to post a little bit more than I was. I have not been able to do it everyday as most days I reach the end and wonder where it went. But I would like to make a Whataburger date with you this summer. In between all the Mexican you might want a good Whataburger so I thought maybe we could join you sometime so you can meet our new cutie. She will grab your heartstrings in minutes! Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete

 

Site design by Fabulous K Creative