May 24, 2011

Bits and Pieces

So today is one of those random days where I have so much bouncing around in my head that I couldn't focus on one topic if I was paid to.

Which I'm not, so therefore I get to be as random as I like!

1. I had a nice chat today with one of Garrett's teachers. It wasn't a "random bumping into you" that led to a chat kind of chat. It was more of a "you need to come in for a scheduled chat" kind of chat. Our year has ended on a much higher note than it started but he still isn't up and running at his normal level. I'm ok with that because I need to be. I learned a long time ago that wrapping up my ego and security in the accomplishments of my kids is a dangerous ride. I'm tempted to jump on sometimes because it can be thrilling, but then I watch parents get off that ride - running for the nearest trash can to toss their cookies - and I regain my determination to stay off that roller coaster.

2. There are some dangers in writing a blog. One of them is that sometimes people read it and after they read it, they call you out on things you write. Remember this post and all my blah, blah, blah about being stretched outside my comfort zone? Well apparently one of the gals that is in charge of decorating for VBS at our church here read that post and then decided to ask me to help. Not because I'm crafty or good with a paint brush or have amazing scissor skills.....oh no. It's because every time I start complaining about how decorating isn't my thing she can look at me and say, "Streeeeeetch". Then she takes pictures of me trying to trace something off a transparency onto paper taped on the wall so I can then paint it....which makes me very nervous.

That's it. From now on I am just going to write about how I love chocolate.

3. It didn't take long after moving here for me to notice stores and restaurants that would look like this.

At first, I wondered if someone had died there.....or was even being buried there. I mean, it wouldn't be the strangest thing that happens around here. I finally asked someone and found out that every single time a new store or restaurant opens, people send these funeral...I mean congratulatory....flower arrangements. It can even be a new KFC opening in the mall and it will be surrounded by flowers. I guess that helps offset the smell of strange chicken parts being deep fried.

4. I haven't been perfect with this whole blogging challenge. I missed one Friday because Blogger was out of commission for some reason. Then I missed last Friday because I just couldn't come up with anything to say and was too tired to care. I haven't been so great with my whole "I'm not going to eat sugar, flour, or dairy" thing I started either. One of the culprits has been a very yummy and easy key lime pie recipe that I have made three times in the last couple of weeks. So, if I'm going down.....you are too.

Get a pie crust. I used graham cracker but you can apparently make one out of vanilla wafers too.

Mix together:
1/2 can frozen limeade
1 can sweet and condensed milk
1/2 of a large container of Cool Whip...which may or may not be equal to one small container but if you can buy a big one why would you buy a small one?

Pour the concoction into the pie crust and freeze. It takes about 4 hours, 37 minutes, and 5 seconds to be ready....approximately.

I had such lofty weight loss goals and thanks to an increase in running, I am happy to report that I will be heading home a whopping three pounds smaller than when we moved here. On a girl with my height, you will notice.....well....zero difference.

Yeah for me!

5. I bought an eyelash curler this past weekend. Nathan happened to be with me and having to explain to him how an eyelash curler worked was one of the funniest conversations we've had. I stole a little of his innocence that day.

And on that note, I will wrap up this little bit of randomness. I'm going to see if I can dig up a piece of key lime pie and I might even eat it off one of my new Spode Turkey plates!!

Just because I can!

1 comment:

  1. Are you kidding me?? Key lime pie is that easy?? Dang it. My husband is going to love me.

    ReplyDelete

 

Site design by Fabulous K Creative