December 15, 2008

New Pajamas

I admit it, I'm a blog addict.  Now, I keep my addiction under control by only bookmarking my absolute favorites and keeping up with only those.  They are all either friends of mine or women I've never met, but feel like friends of mine after reading and commenting on their everyday happenings for so long.  

Recently, one of the blogs asked everyone to comment on their favorite Christmas tradition.  It was a blog that draws LOTS of readers.......hundreds and sometimes thousands of comments.  It is not usual for me to read comments because who has time?  I only do if I'm truly interested in how people are responding to something that was written.  Stick with me here, I do have a point.

I was HORRIFIED to discover that I have been neglecting my children all these years by not buying them new pajamas to open and wear Christmas Eve.  I don't buy them Christmas ornaments either, but that's for another post.  I bet 1 out of every 3 commenters talked about all the years of great PJs they got from their loving and adoring parents.  My boys are going to be scarred for life when they find out what they've been missing out on.  I better start saving now for therapy!

What is even more horrifying is the fact that while they don't get new pajamas, I do.  For the last 3 years I have hosted a PJ party where my friends come over and hang out and we exchange pajamas and everyone goes home with a new pair.  I amaze all who come with the complicated mathematical equation I use to ensure everyone leaves with the same size they came with, without creating mass embarrassment by asking all who wear sizes they wish they didn't, to stand to receive their pajamas.  (It's really not that complicated.........math and I don't get along very well.)

This year I opted out of having a PJ exchange party because I just didn't have it in me.  But I realized that it is a simple sacrifice on my part, and it is a lot of fun to have women I love come together in my home.   Given the circumstances in our country right now, a new plan started to form.

There will be new pajamas this year, but they are all going to the women and children at The Mission of Yahweh.  This is a live- in facility for homeless women and children, often the victims of abuse.  There are 45 women and 10 children living there right now and this ministry relies solely on donations.  Their website is www.missionofyahweh.org.  

I'm very excited about the opportunity to bless these women and children and I'm super proud of my friends who have stepped up in a HUGE way to help out.  No, my children will not be getting new pjs this year, but some very deserving women and children that I will probably never meet.  So if you're in the Houston area Sunday night and want to pop in to experience the Hot Chocolate Bar or some yummy desserts, just let me know!  

4 comments:

  1. Keri that is amazing! I love that you are doing this. You know, even though I won't be having a P.J. party this year, I would love to have that equation if you could write it down for me.

    P.S. I get a little case of "why don't I do that?"'s too sometimes. Or maybe a big case. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keri, I have an extra pair from my PJ party -- is it too late to get them to you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great thing you are doing! As for giving matching pj's for Christmas Eve...I am totally guilty of this! My sister and I used to get them and it is a tradition I carried on. However, my boys have caught on and aren't too thrilled by this anymore! In fact, they are already discussing (with a roll of their eyes) what kind of pj's they will open this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um and I have never been invited to a PJ party before......I guess I better schedule my therapy session now too. Sigh!!

    Me likey the new PJ give away idea to charity though! Good Job mama!!!!

    PS: My friend was just telling me that her and her sister would get matching pj's every Christmas Eve and still do and she just turned 28. I never got pj's for Christmas, so maybe thats whats wrong with me? LOL

    Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete

 

Site design by Fabulous K Creative