June 18, 2010

Peephole

I am sitting in bed at our hotel here in Houston completely and totally exhausted. Today was the final step in our move to Singapore. Everything going by air and staying in storage left this morning leaving the house extremely empty. Scot and I got as far as we could in sorting trash, Goodwill, and suitcases before reaching a point of fatigue where it was hard to focus on any one thing longer than a minute.

I am excited to be spending the night in a hotel since we have spent the last 5 weeks sleeping on air mattresses. Being Friday, I anxiously went to my mailbox in anticipation of the arrival of my People magazine so I could curl up with it tonight.

Or as Scot fondly refers to it, my "Peephole".

It is my guilty pleasure and Friday is always the day it arrives. My friends laugh at me because I read it cover to cover......I figure I owe all the common people portrayed in the magazine the same kind of reading time I give to the celebrities. I'm all about being well rounded, folks!

Not long ago I was at a party and happened to be talking to a friend about Facebook when she made the comment that she didn't like Facebook because it hurt her feelings. I initially found that comment to be odd, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized how true that statement was. Facebook, along with blogs and Twitter, provide just a small snapshot into our lives that paint a picture of us that is often distorted and partial.

Kind of like looking through a peephole.

If you were to look at my life through a peephole right now you would see a family getting ready to embark on the adventure of a lifetime. You'd see us taking the next 2 weeks to travel to some amazing places on our way to Singapore. You'd see us being loved on by some amazing friends and family.

What I would love to do is open the door to each of you so your view of me would be whole.....doing away with the distortion in order to see the whole picture.

You would see a woman who is extremely grateful for God's provision and determined to prove herself faithful. You would see a woman wondering what in the world she is going to do in Singapore to feel purposeful. You would see a woman that is sad in the knowledge that life in Houston will never be the same for her. You would see a woman that can't wait to experience the next few years with her guys.

I find that peeking into the lives of others can be so unsatisfying. Opening the door and investing in them is what rocks my world. My challenge is going to be finding some kind of satisfaction in getting glimpses into the lives of those I am leaving behind and not letting it rule my emotions. It is going to be hard, but I would rather have the peephole than nothing at all!

1 comment:

  1. I have had this up for 2 days now trying to think of words to say. Something profound and encouraging that will lift your spirits and send you on your way. I have only a few words. Jesus Christ is with you all the way. We are praying for you. I love ya to pieces!

    ReplyDelete

 

Site design by Fabulous K Creative